Gthnk runs a private web server that only you can connect to. There are a few browser tricks that make it easier to get extra use out of Gthnk.
- In chrome, visit chrome://settings
- Click Manage search engines… (or click chrome://settings/searchEngines)
- Scroll to the bottom of the list of search engines and Add a new search engine
- call it “gthnk”
- use a simple keyword like “j” for journal
- paste the following: http://localhost:1620/journal/search?q=%s
Now you can quickly search the journal in the search bar. For example, if you knew you saved a URL in the last week, you might type the following in the search bar:
That would search Gthnk for anything matching http, which would hopefully find the URL you bookmarked.
- Enable the necessary Chrome flags
- chrome://flags/#bookmark-apps - Enable
- chrome://flags/#disable-hosted-apps-in-windows - Enable
- Add Gthnk as an App
- Navigate to http://localhost:1620/journal/live
- Click the 3-dot “more” tool button
- Click “More Tools”
- Click “Add to Applications”
- Call it “Gthnk”
This method has been replaced by the App Launcher, which is better…
The Gthnk Google Chrome extension enables Gthnk to be launched from the menu bar using the Chrome Launcher.
- Download the extension code from github
git clone https://github.com/iandennismiller/chrome-app-gthnk.git
- Open chrome://extensions/ in your browser
- Check Developer mode
- Click Load unpacked extension…
- Navigate to gthnk/integrations/chrome-app
- Click OK
Now, you have an icon that will launch Gthnk.
I use Spark.app to create a hotkey pattern for launching the Gthnk app.
Many launchers will work, but the important part is that you must create an “App Launcher” for Gthnk before the hotkey can be created.
Steps for adding a Gthnk hotkey:
- Click the gear icon to drop down the list of things to create
- Choose Application
- Set a unique shortcut key combination
- name it Gthnk
- Action: Launch
- Choose: locate the gthnk chrome app
- Navigate to wherever your apps are and looks for Chrome Apps
- On OS X, this is probably /Applications/Chrome Apps
- Select Gthnk in the Chrome Apps folder